Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Book Review Club: Duality by Renee Wildes

Duality
By Renee Wildes
Guardians of the Light, Book 1
Published by: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

Dara Khan Androcles is a human healer, or so she thinks, until a demon invades her world and her foster father is killed in battle. The last thing he asks her to do is to save a wounded warrior who came to his aid. Dara doesn't realize that her abilities come from her natural mother's dragon heritage.

Disguised as a human, Loren ta Cedric, Elven prince and Lady's Champion, fought against the army of the demon-possessed conqueror Jalad. After being wounded, Loren can no longer keep up the illusion, esp. when he is able to heal himself in minutes. It's even more difficult when Hani-ena, his Elven war-mare, shows up in a very bad temper after he left her behind.

Loren recognizes Dara as his life-mate, but duty must come first and they part. But when she is imprisoned by Jalad, Loren finds a way to come to her aid. Working together, they plan to defeat the demon.

I discovered this book when it became a finalist in EPIC's annual e-book contest, and I really enjoyed it. It's a combination of fantasy and romance. I would say more fantasy than romance, but a fantasy fan might disagree. Dara is a fiery heroine, and I enjoyed watching her transition from feisty, almost-ordinary human to fire-wielding dragon queen. Loren is a noble but conflicted hero. The secondary characters add a lot, esp. Loren's tart-tongued but loyal war mare, Hani-ena. (They communicate telepathically and she offers a fair bit of comic relief.)

I love Samhain's product warnings:
Warning: Contains patricide; noble self-sacrifice; one bad-ass, demon-possessed despot; a bad-tempered dragon; and a water mage who likes to “rain” on her husband’s parade—literally. Downside: A quest for a magic book (written in blood) that nobody wants, and a talking war mare with the warm, fuzzy voice of Judy Densch. [sic] Upside: Serious ass-kicking. Be prepared to learn to curse, cry and laugh—in Elvish.

You gotta love a publishing house with a sense of humor.

I liked Duality enough to read Hedda's Sword, Book 2 in the series, immediately afterward. It was good, too, but I liked Duality better.

Both books are available as e-books and in print as trade size paperbacks. I bought and read the Kindle versions. Wildes books are also available at http://www.allromanceebooks.com/ and http://www.fictionwise.com/.

Recommended for fans of fantasy romance.

Linda




Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

14 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Now this is something I don't usually read--either romance or fantasy--but you made it sound intriguing.

Teresa said...

Sounds like a great book, Linda. Maybe over summer break...

Linda McLaughlin said...

Patti, I don't know if you'd like it or not, but it's a fun read.

Teresa, I think you'd enjoy the book when you have more time to read.

Beth Yarnall said...

Oh my gosh I love the disclaimer! Thanks for a great review Linda.

Sarah Laurence said...

That warning is funny! This isn't my type of book but I enjoyed hearing about it.

Stacy said...

I always like a book with serious ass-kicking. Unless the ass being kicked is my own, which happened a few times in grad school sadly enough.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. And what a great idea to review an e-Book! I love the variety out there!

Lyndi Lamont said...

Sarah, all of Samhain's books carry some kind of humorous "disclosure". I love just reading the warnings. ;)

Stacy, there are definitely some good ass-kicking scenes here. I love a strong, smart heroine.

Kathy, I've been reading e-books for about 10 years now, starting on my PC and now on my Kindle and iPod Touch as well as several other devices along the way. I love being able to store them on my laptop instead of my crowded bookshelves!

Ellen Booraem said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! And the publisher's copy definitely sells it...as does your review. Thanks for it!

David Cranmer said...

A very intriguing sounding read.

Anonymous said...

I needed to send you one tiny observation to finally give many thanks once again on your breathtaking information you have contributed on this website. This is really tremendously generous of people like you to make openly just what a lot of folks would've offered for sale as an ebook to end up making some money on their own, precisely since you could possibly have tried it if you ever considered necessary. These things in addition served like a good way to fully grasp that many people have similar keenness just as my personal own to realize whole lot more in respect of this issue. Certainly there are numerous more pleasant occasions up front for folks who read through your forum post.

Anonymous said...

I love this game :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there

Anonymous said...

As a web-site owner I believe the subject matter here is reallyfantastic. I appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.