Thursday, July 26, 2007

YouTube and Me

I discovered YouTube last year when one of my author friends told me about a video book trailer she had done for one of her books. In an instant I was hooked and couldn't rest until I'd made some videos of my own. This is so way cool.

I was extremely impressed by how quickly the videos downloaded on the library computers, much faster than at home on my DSL line. I wouldn't even try doing it on a modem hookup. I had to once, and it took thirty minutes for a three-four minute video to download. That is completely uncool.

Many authors are doing video trailers for their books, or having the trailers made for them by companies like Circle of Seven. I did my own using the free Windows Movie Maker that came with my computer. It's a powerful program, but buggy at times. It can do some cool stuff though.

Here's a link to a book trailer by author Linnea Sinclair who writes great romantic space opera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SiM1asLQ_w

One of my videos took off for some reason and has had an amazing (to me) 30,691 views! If only a fraction of them had bought it, I'd be happy. So much for the theory that books videos sell books!

I tried to embed it here. We'll see what happens.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/L0OWc3avXR8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Nope, didn't work, but you can find all my videos embedded at my website: http://www.lyndilamont.com/. Click on Extras then on the videos graphic.

I watched some of the library videos Ed gave us links to and loved Conan the Librarian. Just who we need to make sure the books get returned on time. :D

Linda

No comments: